Burt’s Bees is taking a stand and making a point to clear up all this confusion as to what is and is not natural.
Burt’s Bees realize that consumers are very confused about this and to what exactly constitutes a “natural” product. So, they are Setting The Natural Standard. This will be a definition about what is and isn’t natural that they hope, by working directly with competitors and the industry at large, will clear up all this confusion while holding “natural” to the highest possible standard.
The following is what Burt’s Bees has set as their natural standard, and are hoping that other companies join in and adopt these policies with them. They are developing a seal as well, that can be used on products so consumers know that these products comply with the standard that they have set.
• Be made with at least 95% truly natural ingredients
• Contain no ingredients with any potential suspected human health risks
• Use no processes that significantly or adversely alter the purity/effect of the natural ingredients
What is natural? Ingredients that come from a purposeful, renewable/plentiful source found in nature (Flora, Fauna, Mineral).
In addition, processes that are minimal and don’t use synthetic/harsh
chemicals, or otherwise diluting purity.
When is non-natural acceptable?
Only when there is no viable natural alternative ingredient available and
only when there are absolutely no suspected potential human health risks.
Natural versus Organic
Burt’s Bees believes that being 100% natural is more beneficial than being
mostly organic. While standards for organic products require that at least
70% of the products include certified organic ingredients, the other 30% of the product could be comprised of potentially harmful synthetic materials.
At Burt’s Bees, maximizing the amount of safe natural ingredients and
processes in a product is vital. Their natural ingredients come directly from the earth and are minimally processed with natural process aids. Burt’s Bees insures that all ingredients pose no health risk to their consumer. Plus, they test all raw materials to ensure that they do not contain harmful byproducts, and that they meet all safety requirements.
I applaud Burt’s Bees for making such a standard. To me, just knowing that Organic is not always natural was a huge statement for me.
For more information, visit the humming Burts Bees website.