4. Shut your laptop. There’s a whole world beyond Facebook, Twitter and Gawker. Turn off your computer, put down your iPhone and go outside. Spend one evening each week away from the glare of your glowing screens. Read a book, take that bath, paint your nails or have that sex … for the entire evening. No one will die if you can’t check your Tumblr dashboard for new cat memes. Just think of all the cat videos you can watch at work the next morning!
6. Turn on your oven. This advice isn’t just for us ladies. It’s important to learn how to cook something more substantial than milk and cereal. Sorry to insult your Food Network savvy, but that’s not even cooking. Don’t fret, I’m sure all those Barefoot Contessa episodes you DVRed will pay off one day when you want to make a Bearnaise sauce. When you’re on the phone with your mom, ask for a few easy recipes. You would be surprised how easy it is to roast a chicken or make a fresh marinara sauce.
7. Eat breakfast. And while we’re on the subject of food, you should try eating some in the morning. Eating a healthy breakfast is a surefire way to not go crazy on takeout pad thai for lunch. Stock up the pantry with granola and oatmeal. It is, after all, the most important meal of the day for a reason.
8. Drink better booze. Enough with the lite beer and plastic bottles of vodka. Ladies, let me introduce you to whiskey. Treat it right and it will be your best friend. Treat it badly and it will take you down. The king of whiskey is Scotch—which can taste like a smooth melted caramel. It can also taste like rocket fuel. I happen to like my scotch like I like my men: old and single.
9. Get more sleep. Studies show women sleep less than men. It’s not surprising, but it is definitely depressing. Adults needs 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep each night, so you’d better turn those lights off early. Sleep makes us happy, healthy, smart and thin! With all those benefits, it’s probably the best resolution you can make this year.