Tom Ford is always killing it. He’s about to be profiled in AnOther by its editor, Jefferson Hack. As a teaser, the magazine’s website has blessed us with Ford’s 5 Commandments for gentlemen. They are awesome, but they are also just kind of reasonable.
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.
Basically Tom Ford doesn’t like bigoted slobs who are willingly unemployed and wear flip-flops. Team Ford, forevs.