Lisa Fonssagrives’ Apple Pie
1 cup flour, sifted
1 cup sugar (either all white or half white and half brown)
1 large egg
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 large apples (any kind) peeled, cored, and diced into 1-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
creme fraiche, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, egg, and butter with a fork. The mixture will be sticky. Mash it into a ball (neatness doesn’t count).
3. Sprinkle a handful of extra flour on a wooden board. Scoop out spoonfuls of the dough and flatten with your hands, then turn it over so that both sides are lightly coated with the flour.
4. Put half the dough in a pie pan to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Add the apple chunks and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Put the remaining dough pieces on top. There’s always enough. Sprinkle more cinnamon on top. Bake until the top is lightly brown and melts down, 45-50 minutes.
You can also replace the apples with peaches or pears.