Because they see things in black and white!
Buzzfeed Shift has a great piece on why there’s been backlash against Fifty Shades of Grey by various Christian women. Some of their reasons for disliking it include:
- “The Lord doesnâ€™t want His daughters to be wilting, weak-willed, wimpy women who welcome and enjoy abuse.”
- “Without a genuine relationship with Christ, it’s our belief that women will continue to seek satisfaction for their emotional needs in places that just won’t ever fully satisfy.”
- “‘Curiosity’ has led to the downfall of multitudes who have been trapped in the destructive, downward vortex of sexual sin.”
- “Anything other than my husband creating arousal in me would be missing the mark of Godâ€™s intention.”
- “A few years ago, God asked me to give up all fiction reading. To this day I have had no regrets.”
So: Basically there’s some worry that this will impact your enjoyment of your actual sex life, and there’s also someone who is a schizophrenic and just really loves biographies.
Oddly, no one pointed out that a good reason not to read it is that the writing is amazingly terrible.