I know. You celebrated America with beer, so much beer, and now a firework is going off inside your head.
We are going to get through this together, because we’re Americans.
1) Drink Water (or Gatorade). You know this. Honestly, you’ll probably be better off if you alternate a glass of water with every alcoholic drink (even though I know no one wants to do this, ever, for reasons unknown to me) but, well, it’s too late for that now. Drink water to rehydrate you. They say that drinking Gatorade will also help replenish electrolytes, but a lot of physicians say it’s no better than water.
2) Do not drink coffee. Or more alcohol. It will only dehydrate you further.
3) Go back to sleep. Seriously. The sleep you got was almost certainly interrupted, and not as effective as it should have been. You have the day off. Go back to sleep. Or just lie there, quietly, in the darkness.
4) Eat toast, bananas and eggs. Greasy food won’t help that much, but toast can help soothe a nauseated stomach, eggs containÂ cysteine, a chemical which helps breaks downÂ hangover-causing toxin acetaldehyde and bananas help replenish potassium. So, it’s a weird breakfast, but an effective cure.
5) Take Aspirin or ibuprofen. Not Tylenol, though! Tylenol can cause liver damage when you mix it with a liver that is working to metabolize alcohol.
6) But seriously, just sleep it off. You can also have sex or go to the gym, which will not make it go away faster, but will at least give you a way to pass the time while you wait.
Picture via Getty