Today the Daily Mail has an announcement for us: The Glass Ceiling is all women’s fault. It is predictably rage-inducing, and the “research” behind the claim is spurious at best and at worst just flat-out doesn’t say what the headline thinks it says.
We could pick it apart and demonstrate how a lack of confidence is not a “feminine” trait, or how likely it is that one would be insecure sometimes when one was not raised with the deck stacked in one’s favor. But instead of giving the stupid premise the time of day, let’s just enjoy the rageiness of reacting to it in GIF form.
The article starts by covering the basics: There are few female CEOs, and women consistently earn less than their male counterparts.
“Sexism in the workplace is one of the most common reasons given,” the Daily Mail says, “along with the pressures of juggling work and childcare.”
Of course we know that sexism in the workplace is a thing, and that pressures of juggling work and childcare and time off and “opting out” are issues concerning some women.
But then it gets weird …
However, a new survey suggests that it may be women themselves who are, at least in part, responsible for the glass ceiling.
And according to this new scientific survey, women are creating the glass ceiling because women, en masse, are just not confident enough to deal in the workplace. The way the paper gets to that conclusion is particularly bewildering, because the survey does not appear to have asked about sexism. It just asked if women felt unconfident sometimes at work.
According to the study of 2,000 British women, 92 percent of the subjects surveyed said they sometimes felt unconfident. We would very much like to know what the other 8 percent are doing, because if we could just turn off the part of our brain that feels insecure, we’d do that right now.
Forty-eight percent of the surveyed women said they thought they’d be ahead in their careers if they were more confident. And about a third said they were worried about their performance in job interviews.
Of course, a survey that says many people have experienced moments of insecurity at work is not in any way saying that sexism at work is a myth or that women are just holding themselves back.
Even the Daily Mail’s Katy Winter, writer of this bizarre article, seems to feel awkward about approaching this survey to make it say that women are responsible for their own glass ceiling because they just aren’t confident enough.
And it turns out the study was commissioned by Head & Shoulders, the dandruff shampoo people, who are trying to sell their product under the guise of it being a confidence-booster to know that you are not covered in dandruff.
But among the many bizarre things about this crappy article, the strangest thing of all is that if one breaks the cardinal rule of the Internet and actually reads the comments, most of the Daily Mail readers who decided to speak up are on the side of the angels here.
“sure…blame us for holding ourselves back! great way to justify not promoting us or giving us pay rises “it’s your own fault!!” one said.
So, as usual, check your sources, and don’t listen to the Daily Mail when it tries to tell you that a shampoo company’s survey proves sexism is about dandruff.