Even though NYFW is known for its outrageous street style bait techniques, the shows themselves are a pretty staid affair compared to Paris and Milan (especially, of course, the couture shows).
While it’s a consistent criticism of New York that homegrown designers don’t experiment enough, we saw some pretty valiant experimentation at the Spring 2014 shows–which occasionally resulted in balls out crazy, too.
Don’t believe us? Here’s what we mean…
1. This look from Supima is fit for the Diva from The Fifth Element.
2. Supima again, and whoa.
3. Peter Som offers abundantly wearable crazy.
4. The hats at Tibi were indeed wacky, but also delightful.
5. threeASFOUR showed crazy volume meets monastic.
6. Will any actress be daring enough for this Zac Posen frock?
7. A Never Mind The Bullocks-inspired look at Libertine.
8. Pretty much everything at Thom Browne‘s asylum-inspired show–but these eerie, hovering pearls really took it over the edge.
9. Okay, but actually everything at Rodarte. The very much-maligned show was inspired by LA (and cholas, who have been inspiring Gwen Stefani for a decade).
Who is this for, we wonder?
…For example, lizard skin hot pants with zebra print frill details.
10. Margiela‘s MM6 diffusion line was very wearable, as diffusion lines are wont, but these sculpted bags are so weird!
11. Underwear as outerwear at Betsey Johnson.
12. And, well, this.
13. A peculiar head-to-toe (and mixed!) printed look at Opening Ceremony (we’re into it).
14. The false waistlines at Tommy Hilfiger.
15. Looney Tunes-inspired looks by The Blonds.
Next Spring… Tweety Bird is growing up.
Special Menswear Bonus: While we’ve neglected to cover menswear, this look from Anna Sui just pulled out all the stops.
(All photos via Getty)