I love celebrity fashion disasters. Call it schadenfreude if you want, but I’m not sure how accurate that is. I don’t think fashion disasters really cause celebrities any actual pain, because their lives are perfect and I’m sitting here in ripped pajamas critiquing beautiful rich people. Fashion disasters are an awesome Halloween costume idea–they’re cheap, uncomplicated, and ways to reference the cultural zeitgeist without knowing what the word zeitgeist means.
I shouldn’t be surprised that Forever 21, American Apparel and Urban Outfitters really came through for us on this one. Here’s 5 Halloween costumes inspired by real celebrity fashion disasters with four easy steps a piece!
1. Paris Hilton’s ugly Coachella-wear.
2. Kaley Cuoco’s interpretation of a dress.
1. This one takes some prep: do not, under any circumstances, wash your hair for the week leading up to Halloween.
2. Buy this dress in the wrong size.
3. Do this DIY chevron rug tutorial to add the pink stripes.
4. Tie a black ribbon around the dress at your knees to mimic the mermaid shape.
3. Madonna the Boy Scout.
1. Buy this Boy Scout costume for men. It won’t fit well.
2. You’ll want to wear some fishnets underneath your shorts.
3. The outfit isn’t complete without these fingerless pleather gloves.
4. Add this sexy hat.
4. Model Jade Bryce’s cropped, leopard-print, peplum number.
1. Leave your hair in rollers over night. Keep your make up overdone with a heavy eye and a bright red lip.
2. This dress is an excellent approximation.
3. It’s important that you remember to bedazzle these shoes. If you don’t, the whole thing goes to shit.
4. This necklace should get the job done.
5. And no fashion disasters round up would be complete without our girl, Miley Cyrus.
1. While Miley’s version is some sort of latex, we’ll settle for a cotton bra and matching bike shorts.
2. Switch our some black laces and sharpie on some ornamentation and these shoes should do the trick.
3. Stick your hair into two buns until you look like an alien.
4. Optional: draw on nonsensical tattoos to all exposed skin.
Photo: Getty Images