Why are we so obsessed with the way famous people arrange their dead skin cells? I couldn’t tell you. What I can tell you, however, is who did the best job of having hair this year. Here are six of the loveliest haircuts to happen in 2013.
1. Selena Gomez and her fake bob. We were so pumped about this one and how it’s kind of in between sexy and chaste, mature and age-appropriate– it perfectly captures what she’s trying to do with her career right now. Unfortunately, it was a wig. We got really excited about a wig. Bummer.
2. Rihanna’s messy bangs. It’s hardly news when RiRi changes her hair, but this cut was just too gorgeous. She looked like Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction… or Doug‘s artistic sister Judy from Doug. All three of them are hot and so is this haircut.
3. The Jennifer Lawrence debacle. I’m including this one because I happen to like it, unlike all the
haters other Gloss writers. It’s maybe not the best shape for her face or the most creative pixie of all time, but I love JLaw’s spirit and I think she can handle any haircut this world has ever seen.
4. Michelle Williams’ piecey bang look. I don’t personally find this haircut to be, like, pretty… but it’s definitely interesting, and definitely worth mentioning. This look just seems so fitting for her personality. But maybe that’s just because I always picture Michelle as her Dawson’s Creek character, the demure atheist sex goddess Jen Lindley. Jen would eat this up.
5. Miley Cyrus’ fake bob. What is it with the former Disney stars and their fake-out haircuts? This one was every bit as cute as Selena’s and I was every bit as disappointed to find out it was, of course, a wig. She looked like Anna Wintour and somehow that worked.
6. Rihanna’s sophisticated curls. Did you really think we could make it through a list of iconic haircuts with only one Rihanna mention? This might be my favorite look on her– ever. It’s short, it’s simple, but it’s also I’m-a-bombshell-and-I-know-it. She always knows what she’s doing.
Apparently 2013 was all about the bobs and the bangs. What’s gonna happen with hair in 2014? I don’t have a clue– but something tells me that Rihanna will lead the way.