From sequins to sparkles and from glitter to spandex, you can always count on Olympic men’s figure skating to be full of glitzy eye candy. This year’s costumes took things to a whole new level of flashiness, and we’re delighted to show you 12 of the absolute best looks!
1. Philippines skater Michael Christian Martinez looks rather dapper in his blinged-out Christmas sweater. His performance was amazing, and so is this picture– if his current career doesn’t work out in the long run, he could always compete in Olympic Limbo.
2. Here we have Ukrainian Yakov Godorozha, who’s got himself quite the cute caboose… as well as an outfit that could double as a really great Halloween costume. He can tell people he’s going as the love child of Velma and Freddie from Scooby Doo. Don’t act like you don’t see it.
3. Alexei Bychenko from Israel had one heck of a performance and has one heck of a sweater. His face is mildly hilarious, but it’s pretty incredible that he still looks this good while defying gravity.
4. Japanese <s>hottie</s> skater Tatsuki Machida somehow looks like he’s stepping out of a relaxing shower (during which he wore a bedazzled unitard, I guess) while in the middle of an insanely difficult athletic display. I love it. Call me.
5. Also from Japan, Daisuke Takahashi wins the award for Best Facial Expression Ever Of All Time Ever. I’m not sure if he’s playing air guitar or dancing to ska or both, but I love every second of it. (I’m a little confused about his awkward cardigan, actually, but we’ll let that slide considering the majesty of the photo.)
6. Representing China, here’s Han Yan, putting his body into a position while balanced on a single blade that I couldn’t replicate lying flat on the ground. I love the weird zigzag thing going on across his chest, too. I feel like this costume was lifted from the set of Clarissa Explains It All.
7. Peter Liebers from Germany makes crazy physical maneuvers– and pulling off multiple shades of blue– look easy. Does anyone else think his facial expression looks like he’s trying to scratch an itch on his ankle?
8. Michal Brezina from Czech Republic is willing to make bold fashion moves, which I always appreciate. I think I’m wearing this same outfit in my second grade school picture. (He should have asked to borrow my matching clip-on brooch! It had a Scottish Terrier on it.)
9. Alexander Majorov from Sweden looks like he just triple axel’d out of a painting in the Gryffindor common room. I love everything about this costume– and by the looks of the cuffs on his sleeves, I bet Napoleon would too.
10. Yeah, Japan is definitely winning the entire Olympics in the costume department. Yuzuru Hanyu looks classic and handsome and like he shouldn’t have worn that necklace.
11. I’m not sure if Spanish Javier Fernandez is cosplaying Beetlejuice or if he just got trapped in one of the flashier aisles at a suburban Hot Topic, but either way, I’m totally into it.
12. YEP, this one wins. Frenchman Brian Joubert is officially a villain in a superhero movie regaining his power after years of waiting to dominate the earth. If I volunteer to be his evil sidekick, can I borrow his lightning jacket?
Photos via Getty