As far as I’m convinced, coconut oil is god. Seriously. That stuff is as close as I’m going to get to worshipping a deity, I think. Since I started using it on a regular basis about three years ago, I continue to discover new uses for it. It works on EVERYTHING. I’m not definitely not alone in my enthusiasm for coconut oil, as it seems everyone with even a slight interest in “natural” living sings its praises 24/7.
Coconut oil is key in my beauty routine, mainly because it has so many different uses. Here are thirteen more! Some of these aren’t actually too unexpected—I think you already know that oil is a good moisturizer—but hopefully some of these will inspire you to find even more ways to use up that gigantic jar of coconut oil.
1. Makeup Remover: Coconut oil is the only makeup remover I use anymore. It works like a charm, it’s cheap and it smells great. I just put some on a cotton ball and go to town.
2. Lipstick Extender: Want to extend the life of that last little bit of lipstick in the tube? Melt it with some coconut oil in a microwaveable container (or a small pot on your stove) and then pour the new mixture into an old lip balm tube or tin. Bam, instant tinted lip balm!
3. Lip Balm: Put some on your lips. Instant hydration!
4. Shaving Cream: We’ve already brought you this tip, but it’s worth repeating. Coconut oil makes a great shaving cream!
5. Body Scrub: Combine it with some sea salt or organic sugar and maybe a drop or two of your favorite essential oil Then exfoliate like a mofo.
6. Brow Makeup: Mix coconut oil with eyeshadow or powder the same color as your brows. Way better than an eyebrow pencil!
7. Eyelash Lengthener: There is a contingent of the internet who swear by coconut oil to make your eyelashes longer. I can’t personally vouch for this method, but you can learn more, if you’re interested.
8. Teeth Whitening: Lots of people use coconut oil for oil pulling, which is supposed to make your teeth whiter. I’ve actually tried it and liked it, more so for the clean feeling it gives me than for any real teeth whitening benefits, but hey, it’s worth a try!
9. Cuticle Oil: Dry fingers? Coconut oil. It makes your nails shiny, too!
10. Fight Dandruff: Massage a good handful of coconut oil directly into your scalp and leave it for a few minutes or as long as you can stand to feel greasy. The massage motion helps to dislodge the dandruff and the oil helps moisturize your scalp.
11. Frizz Fighter: A dab of coconut oil is a great way to keep frizz down.
12. Conditioner: I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner once every few weeks. I rub it throughout my hair, put it in a ponytail and watch Reign for awhile, then shampoo it out. But it also makes a great daily conditioner, especially if you have very dry or thick hair.
13. Moisturizer: Yeah. Slather this stuff on your body. It can also be used as a facial moisturizer, although using it on your face is apparently controversial, as opinions are split on whether or not it can clog your pores. I’ve never had any problems with it!