The 86th Academy Awards are upon us this coming weekend and we’ll be bringing you all the fashion, beauty and WTF coverage you could possibly want. As far as awards shows go, the Oscars are one of the more tame ones style-wise, but there are still gowns with high slits, low backs and deep cuts that are real risque for this red carpet.
Let’s take a look back in history to see all the most wonderfully naked dresses stars like Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Lopez have dared to rock on the red carpet. Will the 2014 Oscars have any Twitter-frenzy-inducing dresses? We can only hope.
1. Brandi Glanville didn’t deserve to get an invite to the 2013 Oscars, but because the world makes no sense, she did. And she wore this.
It looks like a potentially problematic dress from faraway, but a closeup makes you wonder just how much fashion tape is under there.
2. At last year’s Vanity Fair Oscars Party, Liberty Ross inexplicably mistook a sparkly scarf for a dress, yet somehow made it look really hot (which makes sense because she is ridiculously hot).
3. Gwyneth Paltrow’s 2007 dress. Upon first glance, you think “pretty.” Second glance: “Oh! Nipples.”
4 (kinda). Speaking of nipples, Anne Hathaway’s 2013 dress will live in infamy for its faux-nips. But this doesn’t really deserve a spot on this list, because it was simply a dress structure thing, not an actual nipple thing.
5. Remember that time in 2012 when we all thought we might have seen J Lo’s nipple onstage? Regardless, girl wears sheer, form-fitting dresses so well.
6. For the 2009 Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards viewing party, Sharon Stone went full-on sheer.
7. I love Selma Blair, but this, uh, dress…thing she wore to the 2002 Vanity Fair Oscars Party. It’s just awful. Also, hi Christina Applegate and Cameron Diaz!
8. Angelina Jolie’s 2012 dress, featuring the leg that launched a thousand Twitter accounts.
9. Chloe Sevigny did something “interesting” with sheer paneling at the 2001 Vanity Fair Oscar Party.
10. The same Vanity Fair Oscar Party as Chloe’s dress in #9 brought us this lovely look by Pamela Anderson. To be fair, Liz Hurley‘s dress is pretty redonk, too.
11. Last year, Heidi Klum‘s dress was about two millimeters away from being a wardrobe malfunction.
12. Nicky Hilton wore sixth-grade me’s idea of “prom sexy” in 2003.
13. Hilary Swank‘s dress dipped lower than college juniors doing sexy limbo at the 1999 MTV spring break party.
14. Halle Berry won an Oscar in 2002 for Monster’s Ball, so the fact that she wore my parents’ wallpaper as a dress is more than balanced out.
15. And finally, Cher. She did the wildly complicated crop top in 1986 like nobody did before and nobody has since.
All images via Getty unless otherwise noted.