Cate Blanchett won best actress at last night’s OscarsÂ and made our best dressed list, so suffice it to say that it was a big night for her. Blanchett is a huge risk taker on the red carpet and it almost always pays offâ€“her looks never bore me and she never fails to make a statement. Let’s take a look back at some of Blanchett’s red carpet looks over the past ten years.
1. Last night, she killed it inÂ Armani PriveÂ and made it look easyâ€“in fact,Â she toldÂ PeopleÂ that she pickedÂ the dress ten minutes before she left the house. Not to be over dramatic on this, but she looks magical.
2.Â Her 2014 Oscars dress didn’t quite top my all time favorite Blanchett Oscars look, which had to be 2011′s Givenchy number.Â In a year that was mostly just pretty, flowy gowns, Blanchett went for something unique and stunning.
3.Â In 2007, Blanchett went withÂ Armani PriveÂ to the Oscars and completely stole the show. It was like sexy chainmaille, and it was beautiful.
4. In non-Oscar territory, Blanchett always tends to perfectly find the balance between experimentation and understatedâ€“never going over the top.Â ThisÂ Alexander McQueenÂ atÂ this year’s BAFTAsÂ is a good example.
5.Â HerÂ 2014 Golden GlobesÂ ArmaniÂ look was equally arresting.
6.Â Liz nailed her description of Blanchett in thisÂ Antonio BerardiÂ as a “stony medieval goddess.”
7. She was a rare bright spot at the 2012 Met Gala, in Alexander McQueen. While everyone else flailed wildly, Blanchett looked impeccably severe.
8. This Jean Paul Gaultier number is striking in its delicatenessâ€“I would be afraid to touch it for fear that it would come apart. She wore it to the 2005 Golden Globes and managed to look ethereal and other worldly, instead of just “pretty.”
9. Circling back to an old Oscars look that I had all but forgotten about, Blanchett’s 2005 gown was sophisticated, glamorous, and lemon yellow.
10.Â Finally, this recent Givenchy look at the AACTA awardsÂ perfectly took the metallic trend that has left people looking like cartoon aliens and showed the sexy, adult way to do things. Spot on.