We all know that stock photos aren’t particularly wonderful when it comes to representing actual people or human experiences–they’re more like realistic cartoon humans doing exaggerated poses to reflect mangled stereotypes. Gender roles are especially prevalent in stock photos, and women are portrayed as flattened, primarily thin, white, and conventionally attractive approximations of humans. On the upside, these little cartoons are pretty hilarious, if you try not to think about it too much. Here’s the 20 most ridiculous stock photos of women shopping, because goddamn, women LOVE shopping.
1. “But which non-breathable fabric has the lowest chance of giving me a yeast infection?”
2. Hiding under a shelf is a normal part of the shopping experience.
3. I really want to know what’s in that zebra bag.
4. Ladies love owning five of the same shirt in both red and lavender.
5. Shopping on a logo-less computer yields logo-less shopping bags from nowhere.
6. Can we all just agree that this woman is trying to defecate?
7. EMERGENCY! SHOES ALONE IN A WHITE ROOM!
8. “Yeah, I just bought this bag of bread, a collection of wheat, and some insouciantly draped cherry tomatoes and garlic. I’m having it all.”
9. Watch me fuck with the space time continuum.
10. That bag is a bridge to Terabithia or something, right? I mean what could possibly be so exciting?