Breakups are a very special and pointed type of pain that throws your insides to the ground, stops on them, and then lights them on fire for good measure. Basically, they suck. But the good news is that (A) it doesn’t last forever and (B) there are things you can do to feel better!
One of the best things you can do is to make a playlist that has primarily non-romantic songs–especially ones that will make you feel empowered enough to delete your ex’s number, throw away all your photo booth pictures, and focus on yourself. Some of the following 50 tracks are “I can get through this” type of songs, others have an “eff off” sentiment, and a few are just plain “I’m awesome and I know it.” And plenty of them are really nostalgic (I’m sure I had more than a few of these in my AIM profile in high school), so there’s a whole other layer of emotion.
- Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive
- P!nk – So What
- Kelly Clarkson – Since U Been Gone
- Metric – Live It Out
- Ingrid Michaelson – Girls Chase Boys
- Beyonce – Ring The Alarm
- Breakage (Feat. Zarif) – Over
- Missy Higgins – Where I Stood
- Destiny’s Child – Say My Name
- Adele – Rolling In The Deep (Jamie XX Remix, Feat. Donald Glover)