This year marks the first time The Gloss has attended theÂ Cannes Film Festival withÂ Stella Artois–as well as my first week away from the continent of North America–and my, what an experience it has been. Today is my last day and while I am sad to leave, this has been one of the most fantastic week I’ve ever had. Here’s a look at what Cannes was like through the eyes of an insider, complete with tons of photos of what we did and how we did it–including some ofÂ Ryan Gosling, IRL. (Photos of myself fainting not included.)
2. There are boats and yachts all over the place, and they range from adorable to striking in size. There’s even a yacht with a submarine inside, which one can only assume would make for the best VIP room ever.
3. We were lucky enough to attend multiple premieres, the first of which was forÂ Foxcatcher, the film I reviewed the other day that featuredÂ Steve Carell‘s incredible transformation into millionaireÂ John du Pont. For the record, I wore my twelfth grade prom dress on the red carpet. Thanks, 2008 Macy’s in Syracuse, NY!
4. Naturally, I took a few red carpet selfies. After all, I #CannesNotFeelShame (regarding selfies or bad puns)…
5. …Including one with Steve Mazzucchi of Made Man, one of our sibling sites. He opted for a top hat and a dastardly mustache for the festival.
6. In addition to seeing movies, I also got to learn a ton about beer fromÂ Stella Artois, including how to pour the perfect beer. There’s even a global competition called the World Draught Master ChampionshipÂ where competitors from all over the world compete to see who is able to pour Stella Artois into its namesake chalice the best. This year, a awesome Belgian woman namedÂ Marjolein Geuens won.
7. At Cannes–which Stella Artois has been an official partner of for a full 13 years now–they taught us how to do the perfect pour. It’s a nine-step process, but it’s surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it. Here’s me practicing:
8. And get the hang of it we did!
9. We paired the beer with lots of excellent food, including my favorite meal of the day: dessert.
10. On my second day there, our group attended the premiere ofÂ Lost River,Â Ryan Gosling‘s directorial debut, the review of which I wrote here. BTW, I strongly recommend getting a gel manicure for film festivals (I’ve got onÂ GelishÂ in Tahiti Hottie here); my nails were fine throughout the whole week, but because I wore regular stuff on my toes, I wound up repainting them a million times.
11. For that premiere, which had a semi-formal attire guideline, I picked aÂ White House Black Market chiffon sleeve shift dressÂ and aÂ Coach bag.
12. I also learned that perhaps I should be better about using shoe insoles and anti-blister tape. Ahem:
13.Â I happened to loveÂ Lost River, but I also admittedly loved seeing Ryan Gosling andÂ Christina HendricksÂ IRL almost as much.
14. By the way, I have a natural talent for snagging photos of people at awkward moments (it’s not a malicious thing, I’m just really bad at taking decent pictures). As a result of this affinity, I got a picture of Ryan Gosling wiping his nose. And yes, he still looks glorious.
15. I mean, really, whose jawline is allowed to be this nice?
16. And I wasn’t the only one freaking out. Just look at this frenzy:
17. Speaking of which, red carpets are kind of crazy themselves. There’s this organized chaos all over the place that is both intimidating and exhilarating:
19. And the actual celebrity fashion has been amazing, hasn’t it? FromÂ Blake Lively basically making a style icon comeback via Cannes to some seriously gorgeous braids like that ofÂ Eva Longoria, there’s just been nonstop beautiful looks here.
20. But it’s also great to relax every once in a while and meet new folks. To my left isÂ Emma Dibdin of Digital SpyÂ and to my right isÂ Ann Lee of Metro, both of whom also joined up with Stella Artois for Cannes. They know more about movies than I do, so it was fun to both listen to and read their opinions on all the movies they saw at the festival, while I got to share with them my thoughts on skincare and binge dating.
21. Where’s a monocle when you need it?
22. As for what I brought along, I already showed you guys exactly what I’ve been lugging around in my purse:
23. But here are a few of my hotel essentials:Â FekkaiÂ Blowout Hair Refresher Dry Shampoo,Â Broo Hydrating Porter Shampoo and Conditioner, andÂ Giovanni Eco Chic CosmeticsÂ Ultra Volume Super Potion. Not pictured: All the Kit Kats I’ve been eating.
24. After all, I had to make my hair all sorts of big for the fun photobooth pics! Although, of course, I just had to make silly faces. I couldn’t help it.
25. Oh, and by the way: the prawns here are ENORMOUS. For those of you who don’t know, I am freaked out by shrimp, but these were just too regal to not snap photos of: