Beach days are supposed to be relaxing and fun, and you shouldn’t feel pressured to look put-together when you’re just trying to get your vacation on. At the same time, though, it’s a total waste of a cute bathing suit to obscure it with a big t-shirt when you’re not in the water. Contrary to popular belief, there are lots of cover-ups in this world that keep you comfortable, low maintenance, and adorable–all at the same time. If you’re in the market for one, here are ten ideas to help you shop!
1. Sundresses. If you don’t like the look or feeling of cover-ups from the swim section, branch out! This is a great opportunity to buy a dress that’s translucent, oversized and flowly, or way skimpier than you’d normally choose. Just look out for a fabric that can handle getting wet, sandy, or tossed around in your beach bag.
3. Sarongs. These are especially fun because you can tie them in creative ways. And because they look like maxi skirts and beach blankets had a baby.
4. One of those shirts with a picture of a bikini on it. If you’re gonna go for the big t-shirt look, you might as well lean all the way in and wear a funny one. You can buy these at any flea market, tourist trap, or boardwalk. (Warning: little kids might run up to you thinking you’re their grandpa.)
6. An open button-down. There’s something sneakily sexy about looking like you’re wearing a man’s shirt, and you can always tie it around your waist or button it up if you’re looking for coverage in other areas.
8. Rompers. Comfy, cute, not going to give you shoulder tan lines. What more could you ask for?
9. Drapey cardigans. Feminine, practical, and you can easily throw it over a dress before dinner.