Wearing the combination of red, white, and blue should be simpler to execute than it actually is. Those colors are all classics! If done right, patriotic outfits can look like Hyannis Port perfection, but one wrong move and you’ll look like an eccentrically star spangled mess. Hopefully, these outfits I put together will inspire you to actually wear red, white and blue this Memorial Day weekend without feeling like you’re sporting an Uncle Sam costume.
Here are 10 ways to wear red, white, and blue without looking like an American flag freak:
1) Be playful, but not over the top.
2) Use classic staple pieces liked a striped top and blue jeans, but add one punchy accessory like a trendy ball cap.
3) Really lean into the summery Americana vibes.
4) You can get a little winky and campy with flair, if your outfit is mostly comprised of basics in solid colors.
5) Going the girly-yet-nautical route is always a good idea. Sailor inspired getups can be festooned in red, white, and blue without looking so corny.
6) There’s nothing more American than straight foreword and aggressive simplicity.
7) Dress as sweet as apple pie, but toughen the outfit with denim and canvas fabrics.
8) Go casual and comfortable, but tie the outfit together with a hint of color- matching. You can even wear an overtly patriotic item if you play down the rest of your get-up with unassuming classics.
9) Understate your American flag color palette by using denim as your blue.
10) Don’t feel any shame. USA! USA! Bubble gum, baseball, rock n’ roll!