Here’s aÂ riddle for you: IfÂ RihannaÂ wore a Swarovski crystal-encrusted Adam Selman dress to the CFDA Awards, that showed her nipples is she naked or not? Well, she did, and the jury is still out on this one.Â The pictures causedÂ a debate about whether covering your chest in a thin layer of crystal constitutes as proper coverage, despite seeingÂ enough of Rihanna’s chestÂ to know that she left the nippleÂ ring at home last night.Â Some websites think it does (a layerÂ of crystalsÂ isn’t that much different than clothing)Â while other’s think it’s NSFW. Rihanna isÂ no stranger in igniting nipple covering debatesâ€“andÂ she has the closed Instagram account to prove it (RIP Rihanna selfies), but this wasn’t exposing a nipple out partying on New Year’s, this was a fancy schmancyÂ red carpet awards ceremony.
It’s a CFDA nipple vs. censorship face-off. Let’s see which sites are pro-nipple and what ones wish Rihanna wore a bra:
If Anna Wintour doesn’t have a problem with a little areola, no one else should. Rihanna and her nips even made it onto the best-dressed list.
Nipples: 1 Censorship: 0
2. Us Weekly
Us WeeklyÂ decided it was too good a branding opportunity, so they slapped their logo over Rihanna’s nipples. Good strategy.They even decided to use the smudge tool on Rihanna’ butt.
Nipples: 1 Censorship: 1
3. Huffington PostThe Huffington Post chose a close-up shot of Rihanna and her Fashion Icon Award and let her nips share the moment. How thoughtful.
Nipples:Â 2 Censorship: 1
4. LuckyLucky may have deemed Rihanna’s nipples as ‘insane’ but her exposed boobs weren’t crazy enough to get black-barred.
Nipples:Â 3 Censorship: 1
5. USA TodayUSA Today decided to select a photo where Rihanna did the censoring for them, so they didn’t have to worry about a pixelated spot ruining the image. Though truth be told, that furry boa isn’t covering everything.
Nipples:Â 3 Censorship: 1.5 (for one boob covered)
6.Â Vanity Fair
Vanity Fair is another style bible that is for the #freethenipple campaign.
Nipples:Â 4 Censorship: 1.5
7. PeoplePeople magazine decided to add a nude lining to Rihanna’s topâ€“too bad they didn’t finish it until after the event.
Nipples:Â 4 Censorship: 2.5
8. Just Jared
Just Jared isn’t shy aboutÂ a little boobage.Â They posted full-body and close-up shots. Double points should be awarded but the rules don’t work that way. Sorry.
Nipples:Â 5 Censorship: 2.5
9. Daily Mail
The Daily Mail thought it wasn’t a big deal to show boobs and butt. It’s alright because Rihanna is still wearing underwear.
Nipples:Â 6 Censorship: 2.5
Celebuzz also took the promotional route. I like how they matched their logo to the same pink as the Swarovski pink font in the background. That takes thought.
Nipples:Â 6 Censorship: 3.5
11. zap2itDespite RiRi’s nipplesÂ being hidden under purple stars that look like something Ariel from The Little Mermaid would wear, I am more distracted by Chris Kattan‘s AndrĂ© Leon Talley meets leather fetish outfit.
Nipples:Â 6 Censorship: 4.5
Like I said, if Vogue thinks it’s alright to show your nipples at a black tie event, everyone should be fine with it.