You know how some of your favorite style and beauty tips are passed down from your mom, your grandmother, your aunts and so forth? Well, given that we’re in the age of the Internet, you can now add “your Internet buddies” to that list! Last week, we asked you–our wonderful readers–to tell us your best weird beauty tips, tricks and secrets and the results were fantastic. In order to share the wealth of knowledge you all bestowed upon us, here is a compilation of all the open thread’s comments.
1. Alexis: “Using a little bit of lotion on my hair if it’s frizzy and I don’t have access to product!”
2. Hayley: “I scrub my scalp with baking soda once a week. It makes my hair feel twice as clean. Not sure why!”
3. Holly: “I used to wash my hair with baking soda for every washing. I would use vinegar as a ‘conditioner.’ It took some getting used to at first but I really loved it.”
4. bubblegumbanshee: “That’s what I do and I love it! I’ve cut back the baking soda to every other/every 3 washings though.”
5. Liz: “I have definitely a tiny bit of hand soap as hair gel in particularly desperate situations (seriously, I’ve developed a sprig of awful 3-inch-long baby hairs growing right where my hair parts).”
6. Holly: “For a year I washed my hair with baking soda in water and then conditioned with vinegar. It took awhile to get the right amounts down but I really liked it. I’m not sure why I stopped.”
7. Ava Strange: “Not shampooing, seriously, switching from shampoo to baking soda in water is the BEST thing I have ever done for my hair.”
8. Kayla: “My friend made me a dry shampoo based on cornstarch. I brush it onto my hair with a kabuki brush. Less chemicals, better smell.”
9. Theresa Edwards: “I have greasy ass hair so a little bit of baby powder is like magic.”
10. SCDC: “I use mineral makeup, and have blonde hair, so after I do my face, I apply the foundation to my bangs as well to counter the greasies.”
11. Heather C: “A cold spoon on swollen eyes work better than any de-puffing cream. And keeping yoru eye open when applying liner to your top lashline.”
12. bubblegumbandshee: “Diaper rash cream on super dried out rashy looking skin, and I’ve used it on an ingrown hair too.”
13. Alicia715: “I am obsessed with peroxide. I put it on my teeth and leave it there for a little bit every few days to keep my teeth white. I put it on with a q tip, and make sure you don’t swallow it! It’s super cheap and works better than the strips IMO. I also put peroxide on my pimples. It looks super gross and like the pimple is going to explode, but once the peroxide dries up, the pimple looks way better and heals faster.”
To find out a secret spot treatment for acne, the perfect cheap toner for summer, and the best way to make your bronzer look natural, click to the next page!