Even though we’re still blown away by the gowns we see at red carpet events, it can be really refreshing to see young female celebrities busting out of the comfort zone and mixing up their wardrobes. To celebrate women who look even better in menswear than their male counterparts, here are 10 photos of ladies wearing suits and kicking ass!
1. Janelle Monae. You couldn’t make a list like this without putting Janelle first, because she’s the absolute master of feminine androgyny. This sparkly number that she wore to the Billboard Awards? Flawless.
2. Ellen Page. She’s been rocking tailored suits for years now (remember her look at the Vanity Fair party after the Oscars? So good!), and this is one of my favorites. She wore it on the red carpet for the Trevor Project‘s live event, and she looked amazing.
3. Anne Hathaway. There’s not a lot of nice things you can say about Anne Hathaway’s stint hosting the Oscars, but at least her costumes were fantastic. That suit paired with those shoes = a theater kid’s wet dream.
4. Scarlett Johansson. We love Scarlett’s ability to rock menswear on the red carpet almost as much as we love her gowns.
5. Kirsten Dunst. I feel like this suit was crafted specifically to match Kirsten’s standard facial expression. Kind of moody, kind of sophisticated, totally stunning.
6. Rihanna. Everyone knows that Rihanna can look perfect in a flashy, over-the-top dress, but she can wear an understated outfit and kill that, too. I love this.
7. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. I’m not positive that this counts as menswear, but Rosie’s made a habit of putting men to shame with her suit-wearing confidence.
8. Kristen Stewart. Just like Rosie before her, Kristen has worn suit jackets so many times that it’s impossible to pick a favorite. She did an entire spread in drag for Elle one time, but I might pass out if I keep talking about it.
9. Angelina Jolie. She’s pretty much the champion of wearing clothes, period, but this suit is one of my favorite looks of all time. What a badass.
10. Ashley Benson. We did a whole post about Ashley’s underappreciated style, and this was one of our picks. It’s pretty brave of her to wear something out of the short dress norm, considering she’s still working on Pretty Little Liars. It paid off.
Photos via Getty Images