There is something about French girl style that the rest of the world is absolutely obsessed with. Our Gallic sisters are masters of effortless-but-chic fashion and beauty looks. One celebrity that epitomizes this is Brigitte Bardot. People have been trying to copy Brigitte’s sultry makeup, hair and clothes for decades. Her look is timeless, effortless and fashionable. Plus, it is something that is actually wearable for those of us who aren’t movie stars.
Here’s how to get Brigitte Bardot’s sultry look:
1. Find your perfect bangs. Anyone can pull off bangs. There is a flattering style for you regardless of your face shape or hair texture. It is worth going through a few awkward looks to discover your perfect style, trust me. Brigitte’s bangs enhanced her voluminous mane.
2. Don’t forget about your accessories. Your accessories can make or break a look. Accessories can be more interesting than sparkly jewelry. Just take a look at Brigitte’s kerchief, sunglasses and gloves paired with her tweed suit. If you can work a kerchief into your modern look, do it.
3. Never do your hair in a stiff updo, always keep it relaxed. Forget about trying to slick down every last baby hair. Brigitte shows that relaxed updos are far more alluring. Pull your hair back and let a few tendrils come down. You can skip the hairspray too.
4. Go for understated sexy rather than overt. What you conceal can be just as sexy as what you reveal. Here, Brigitte makes a case for a cardigan. She usually sticks with simple silhouettes in classic shapes that are form-fitting but not skin-tight.
5. You cannot go wrong with soft, voluminous hair. We tend to focus on achieving super straight hair or the perfect curls but what we should be focusing on is getting volume into our manes. Brigitte’s full mane shows that a bit of volume makes your hair look amazing. It is also a soft, I-tried-but-didn’t-spend-three-hours-in-the-bathroom look.
6. A bit of eyeliner is all you need for a striking makeup look. A sexy look isn’t just about red lipstick. Brigitte was at the height of her fame in the 1960’s and has stuck with the popular nude lipstick and dark eye she sported then. The hint of eyeliner emphasizes her eyes and adds a sultry vibe but it doesn’t look overdone.
7. Never have your hair too perfect. To achieve Brigitte’s alluring look, we need to spend less time obsessing over our hair. A slightly tousled texture is actually far better that something that has been shellacked into place.
8. If you’re wearing a dramatic piece, keep your hair and makeup simple. When Brigitte wore an eye-catching piece, such as this zebra print coat with fur trim, she always kept her hair and makeup simple. Note the visible roots, hint of eyeliner and nude lip.
(Photos: Getty Images)