Once upon a time, I was really into MySpace, and just as anybody who’s ever been on MySpace for five minutes knows, there was a weird aspiration to be e-famous that majority of the site’s users were seeking (at least, according to my memory). And who was the most successful of all these MySpace celebrities? No, not Tila Tequila, who is arguably the worst case scenario on the e-fame front. It’s Jeffree Star! His particular brand of gender-bending neon glamour spoke to hundreds of thousands on the social media network, leading to his appearances in huge shows like America’s Next Top Model.
Of course, Jeffree’s makeup and hair techniques are one of the main reasons so many people obsessively followed his every photo shoot. There are very few celebrities who I can come up with off the top of my head who have skills nearly as advanced as Mr. Star. His ability to transform his features and do super beautiful, weird and avant-garde looks goes way beyond simply “impressive.” And on that note, whip out the Her Space Holiday, put some fake pearls on, and check your angles as we take a look at some of his best Instagram photos to feel #allthenostalgia.
1. Obsessed with stiletto nails.
2. Obviously, he has a huge collection of snazzy makeup.
3. Liz Taylor revamped.
4. This is his dog. It is fluffy and adorable.
5. I feel like this will leave strange satanic tan lines, but that is okay.
6. Guh, MAC leads to some seriously wonderful photos.
7. I have no clue if being heart-shaped would ruin a record’s playability, but holy crap, it looks so cool.
8. Cheekbones for days!
9. …And legs, too.
10. So. Much. MAC.
11. In the event you’ve ever wanted to see an epic showdown between neon makeup and neon food, you’re in luck!
12. Diamond Diva is killing it at this whole “matching your owner” thing. (As a side note, I don’t recommend dyeing your dog’s hair because it will likely shed everywhere or rub off on stuff, but there are apparently dog-safe dyes out there.)
13. If you were wondering what he looks like sans brows, the answer is “still awesome.”
14. I’m so jealous of all these excellent nudes. (Is this a weird way to phrase that sentiment?)
15. So much limited edition MAC.
16. I love how many different bright shades there are packed into one photo. Looks like spring.
Photos: Jeffree Star’s Instagram.