Spring is in the air! Now that temperatures and hemlines are creeping upward, how can you wear spring’s cute, flirty minidresses and still be professional enough for the office? Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Try wearing every dress under the brightest halogen light you can find. If it seems even the slightest bit see-through, hedge your bets by layering the dress or wearing a slip.
- Practice sitting and standing in the dress in front of a mirror. The dress may cover your butt when you’re standing, but also make sure you don’t expose too much when sitting down. If you think it might be too short for the office, wear it as a tunic over skinny jeans.
- Play with proportions. If the dress is short and dramatic, try pairing the dress with a long blazer or boyfriend sweater.
- Balance out your accessories. If the dress is sleeveless or strapless, make sure you have a cardigan handy so you’ll look more work-appropriate. Stick with dark or textured tights and flats. You can always switch into heels for evening.
- If you’re really on the borderline, ask yourself what your mom would think of your outfit. Odds are her aesthetic would fall a little more in line with your boss’s, so err on the side of cautious parent.