Forget about all of the gorgeous dresses at the 2015 Golden Globes, all we could talk about were Amal Clooney‘s gloves, (and Helen Mirren‘s #JeSuisCharlie pin.) Amal showed up on the red carpet wearing a pair of white elbow-length pageant queen gloves. Needless to say, Twitter went crazy. In approximately 2.033 seconds after first appearing on the red carpet, there were already two Twitter handles created in their honor. Yes, really. And then there were the zillion upset reactions.
These are the best Twitter reactions to Amal’s white gloves:
1. The person who thinks the gloves are hazardous
Amal Clooney should stick to politics and avoid fashion. Hazardous gloves, man and less than mediocre dress #GoldenGlobes
— مش فراولة (@Ranamawy) January 12, 2015
Perhaps the gloves are actually preventing hazards. Think about all of the germs Amal is avoiding.
2. The person who used Breakfast At Tiffany’s as an insult
I’m pretty sure this is the first time in history that Breakfast At Tiffany’s has been used as an insult.
3. The person who thinks the gloves are pretentious
Maybe Amal didn’t get to wear them to her wedding, so she saved them for tonight. Does that still count as pretentious?
4. The person who used 4,570 emojis to describe the gloves
I’m pretty sure one face emoji would have been sufficient, but it’s good to express all of your emotions.
5. The person who thinks Mr. Fox and the gloves don’t matter
Amal is beautiful and brilliant with or without the incredible Mr. Fox and the gloves. #goldendglobes
— Jaguarjin (@jaguarjin) January 12, 2015
When did George Clooney go from Fox to Mr. Fox?
6. The person who knows George’s aunt will like them
— Robin McCarty (@singerscoach) January 12, 2015
And she won’t just like them, she’ll be proud of them.
7. The person who wants to shake a hand, not a gloved hand
If you meet Amal Clooney, you want to feel how soft her hand is, not how soft her glove is.
8. The person who thinks the gloves are because of the peasants
What exactly is the definition of “peasants” we can going with? Are B-List celebrities included?
9. The person who thinks this has to do with prom queen elections
Also retroactive slam on Amal’s gloves. Does she think she’s getting elected prom queen or something? #GoldenGlobes
— Wendy Felton (@wendymfelton) January 12, 2015
Of course Amal would win prom queen, gloves or no gloves. They would probably skip the elections and just give her the award.
10. The person who wore the white gloves first
— Shan (@bonoisagod) January 12, 2015
That’s got to hurt. She should at least have given credit.
(Photo: Getty Images)