kim kardashian yellow coat

Kim Kardashian tried to make a sweet, charitable gesture last night. But she fucked it up, and now it just makes her look bad.

Last night she announced on her website that she would be auctioning off dozens of her no longer wanted designer clothes on eBay to benefit the Philippines:

Hi guys, this is a very special auction because a portion of the proceeds of my eBay auction are going to International Medical Corps, which is a nonprofit organization that provides critical health services on remote islands where families are struggling to access medical care and basic resources like food, clean drinking water and vital medications. The proceeds will go directly to the communities they’re serving in the Philippines and will help typhoon survivors get access to medical care and ultimately save lives. My prayers and thoughts are with those affected by the typhoon. Check out my eBay auction here and support those who need our help in the Philippines. Xo

Donating the proceeds from her auction to typhoon relief is awesome and hugely commendable. Among the 8 pages of items Kardashian has listed is everything from Chanel handbags to her own Kardashian Kollection, and a lot of pieces are new with the tags still on. Since she is extremely rich and famous, the auctions are pretty much guaranteed to net a whole lot of money. But in her announcement, Kardashian failed to mention that only 10 percent of the auction proceeds were actually going to charity. Kim’s keeping the other 90 percent.


Kim Kardashian is estimated to have a net worth of at least $40 million and growing, and she’s engaged to Kanye freaking West. The couple spent a million dollars on gold toilets for their horrible mansion in L.A. If Kim wants to pat herself on the back for her “very special auction,” she should be giving all the proceeds to charity. You don’t get a Nobel Peace Prize for checking the little, “Give 10% to charity” button on the EBay listing tool.

This is not new ground for Kardashian to tread, either. When she got together with Kanye and he made her excise the items he said were too “ghetto” from her closet, she again clicked that box and expected praise for giving 10 percent to charity. We would have thought she would have learned her lesson then and started giving more to charity, like David and Victoria Beckham, who got all the accolades Kim probably expected when they donated a boatload of their own designer clothes to the British Red Cross, which is having a big “Buy the Beckhams’ Old Clothes” charity event in London. But the Beckhams are donating all proceeds, not keeping 90 percent for themselves.

If you want to donate to typhoon relief without giving 90 cents on the dollar to Kim Kardashian, the International Medical Corps accepts donations directly, as does the Philippine Red Cross, UNICEF, and the World Food Programme.

Via YahooUK/Photo: WENN