Somewhere between the second Twilight movie and her blown-out-of-proportion cheating scandal, Kristen Stewart started to get a bad rap. We’ve taken the time to defend her personality in the past, but what about her fashion choices? Kristen has a serious knack for making her moody-pouty-badass style work for her, and her daring, creative outfits rarely get their due. In celebration of this underrated beauty and her awesome wardrobe, here are 15 photos that prove Kristen Stewart deserves to be one of your style icons.
1. Kristen rocked the hell out of this little number at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival, and I’m still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. She’s known for wearing a lot of black lace, and I love the way she added something colorful and exciting to her signature look.
2. Kristen clearly falls on the Femme side of the gender spectrum, but she knows exactly how to play up her androgynous undertones to make both dresses and pants look perfect on her body. I love when she pairs a feminine top with menswear-inspired pants, like she did at the On the Road premiere.
3. At the US premiere of Breaking Dawn Part 2, she really came out of her shell and showed off her grown-up curves. This dress is equal parts sexy and tasteful. A+ work.
4. At the UK premiere of the same movie, she showed us that she’s not afraid to put her freakier side on display. It’s weird that she has such a reputation for being shy; it’d take me six years to build up the confidence to wear this for an hour.
5. And here she is at the Spanish premiere of the same movie, showing us exactly how to wear a neon. Kristen rations her use of bright colors so that it blows us away every time she steps out in something bright.
6. One of my all-time favorite Kristen dresses. The beadings and funky design of the bodice are perfect for her not-your-typical-starlet personality, and the long, black, fit and flare skirt show off her awesome body.
7. If I could nominate her for a Senior Superlative in our imaginary high school yearbook, she’d be my first choice for Best Romper. Kristen always manages to balance the casual and the dressy, and her hair and makeup work so well with this outfit.
8. I’ve never understood this outfit from the New York premiere of On the Road, but I don’t need to. She’s owning it.
9. She got a lot of flack for her hair at the 2013 Oscars, but if you remember that she was on freaking crutches before hobbling across the red carpet like a champion, it’s easy to forget the tresses and focus on the killer gown.
10. If you’re going to wear a short suit, the Kids’ Choice Awards is your place to do it. I love the slightly pointy shoulders!
11. Sometimes I wonder if the Met Gala was created just to give Kristen Stewart the chance to show off her creativity. Here she is at the 2012 ball, whose theme was Punk: Chaos to Couture. Nailed it.
12. Um, remind me why people were acting like she was a strange choice to represent Chanel? Between her sleeked hair, fingerless gloves, and starchy jacket, she looks like Karl Lagerfeld‘s wet dream.
13. Dominating the Met Gala for the second year in a row, Kristen became the first person to make me understand this new Chanel silhouette. If you can wear something better than Rihanna and Keira Knightley, you know you’re a fashion icon.
14. This year’s most talked-about jumpsuit and sneakers! Kristen wore this outfit to Cannes, leaving some people speechless and others confused. That’s kind of the goal of fashion, right?
15. Liz called this one a Fashion Disaster, and while I see where she’s coming from, I have to completely disagree. She’s got the perfect posture for Chanel, and between the wide legs and pointy toes, she looks like a total badass in this outfit.
Love her or hate her, you have to admit that it’s strange how often Kristen Stewart’s style gets overlooked. It doesn’t have to be your taste (and I can totally understand why it wouldn’t be!), but it’s worth a second glance. We can’t wait to see what she wears next!
Photos via Getty Images