Every Wednesday morning, we do a tongue-in-cheek recap of the latest fashions in the Pretty Little Liars universe, and between Troian Bellisario‘s patriotic sweaters and Lucy Hale‘s witchy ensembles, the sensibly-dressed Shay Mitchell tends to get overshadowed. We recently wrote a post about Shay’s costar and real-life best friend, Ashley Benson, to put the spotlight on her awesome style— and it’s about time that PLL’s most underrated character got a little bit of love. Shay Mitchell’s fashion sense deserves a lot more praise than it gets, and here are 10 photos to prove it!
1. Shay wore this dress to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in 2013, and it was the first time I really started to consider her style. The designs look exactly like an elementary school art project conducted in glitter pen… but it still works. That takes skill.
2. Shay killed it at the LA premiere of Spring Breakers. The neon toenails were the perfect little nod to the movie, and her skirt kind of makes her look like a human Chanel bag. Sprang breaaak.
3. Her outfit from the 2013 MuchMusic Awards was like a classed-up, feminized Ed Hardy shirt… in the best way possible. It took guts for her to wear this pattern, but she’s definitely confident enough to make it look awesome.
4. I always love seeing what people put together for the Teen Choice Awards, since pretty much anything goes. This outfit says “I’m a powerful business bitch” in too loud a voice for anyone to ignore.
5. With her stable job on a highly rated teen show, it would be really easy for Shay to stick with boring basics. That’s why it’s so fun to see her rocking this odd hemline and these Gaga-esque shoulders. Work it, girl.
6. This cutout dress is explanation enough for why Shay was at a GQ event. It’s simple, it’s hot, it’s easy on the eyes. I think I’m in love.
7. Shay totally killed this leathery crop top dress, and that’s no easy feat. Between her dark lips and her chaotic ear accessories, she looks vampy and badass at the same time.
8. I always love when stars stick with a signature color long enough that they can shock us just by wearing something from the opposite side of the spectrum. She always looks stunning in black, but this cream-colored dress is a breath of sexy fresh air.
9. Emily might be the most boring character, but Shay’s dress at the finale of Pretty Little Liars‘ fourth season was a total showstopper. She looks simultaneously classy and attention-grabbing, which kind of sums up her public persona.
10. Shay showed off her killer abs at PLL’s 100th episode party, proving once and for all that she’s rightfully confident about her banging body. I love this dress and I love the way she makes it work. It’s only a matter of time before her name becomes synonymous with “style icon.”
Photos via Getty Images