From majestic eagle helmets to creative and perplexing uses of pantyhose, the 2014 Winter Olympics have already taken absurdity to a new level. Photos from the opening ceremony are just starting to surface online, and we’re getting a load of some of the prettiest, oddest, and WTF-iest costumes we’ve ever seen. Here are 15 of the ceremony’s most beautiful looks!
1. Beautiful blue wings, beautiful dancers, beautiful tricks of light. Whoa.
2. Liza Temnikova performing “The Dream,” looking like she just wandered off the over of The Little Prince.
3. Another scene from “The Dream,” featuring bright colors and unbelievable dancers.
4. I’m not positive what’s going on here (am I the only one who’s reminded of a Target commercials? It’s the colors, I think) but it looks awesome.
5. Dancers performing Natasha Rostova‘s “First Ball.” Freaking mesmerizing.
6. Svetlana Zakharova and Vladimir Vasilyev looking like they can’t possibly be real people. Her legs! Her dress!
7. Some kind of rollerskating human light show? Insane and gorgeous simultaneously.
8. German skier Maria Hoefl-Riesch carries the flag in front of her fellow well-dressed Olympians– who would probably blend in nicely in a Dr. Seuss book, if we’re being real.
9. Uh, it looks like the Little Prince theme continues. Looking good, gentlemen.
10. Like those lit-up wicker reindeer that people put in their lawns at Christmas, except they’re FLYING and shaped like HUMAN BEINGS.
11. They brought in some very interesting jesters…
12. The Slovenia team is channeling Buzz Lightyear, apparently. It works for them.
13. Vladislav Tretyak carries the torch in front of the… Broadway cast of The Lion King? I’m a little confused by that guy’s mane.
14. I can’t tell if we’re in the future or The Hunger Games Capitol or if these Lady Gaga-esque ladies just got their heads stuck in a series of lattice fences.
15. Crazy. Beautiful. Crazy beautiful. If the opening ceremony costumes are any indication, this year’s Olympics are going to be nutso.