Even though she has masses of devoted fans, it seems like Taylor Swift spends more time being the butt of jokes than just about anyone else. The criticism directed at her personality tends to be sexist and boring, and on top of all that, people often overlook her awesome style. We’d like to take some time today to give her fashion sense a round of applause. Here are fifteen photos that prove that Taylor is great at wearing clothes!
1. If we could go back to 2005 and see this photo from the future, we wouldn’t even believe it was Taylor. It’s hard to see the footage of the 2013 Brit Awards red carpet and still think of her style as immature or high schoolish. That silhouette! That belt! I’m panting.
2. Taylor looked totally stunning at the 2013 Met Gala, and her striking eye makeup worked perfectly with the PUNK theme. This was one of the first times I started taking her fashion sense seriously.
3. She’s been hitting it out of the park with her summer street style this year. Her love of bright heels works so well with her personality, and these red ones are particularly great.
4. Is that a Victoria’s Secret model? Is that a Vogue editor? Nah, it’s just a former country singer who knows exactly how to rock all-over black. She looks sophisticated, poised, and awesome.
6. Taylor’s affinity for old school glamour used to make her wear sparkly prom dresses, but now she’s carried her taste with her into adulthood. This Audrey Hepburn-inspired outfit is functional, feminine, and making me salivate.
7. Those legs were built for rompers, but it still takes a lot of confidence to pair one with heels and red lips. This look is so very Taylor.
8. Who gave you permission to wear this? It’s too great to handle. I can’t handle it. You’re causing a public hazard, Taylor. You’re a menace.
9. Her style is usually ultra-femme, so I love this girly take on more masculine pieces. The oversized cardigan, the oxfords, the high neckline. Perfection.
10. This is one of my personal favorite Swift outfits of all time. The green accents don’t match anything in the dress, but everything looks perfect together. That takes creativity and a good eye.
11. Remember when people freaked out about her performing at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show? Remember how people thought she wouldn’t fit in? Remember when she wore this on the pink carpet? Damn.
12. Oh, and here’s her costume from her runway performance. Is that Karlie Kloss, or is that someone who penned the lyric It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters and make fun of our exes?
13. This gown from the 2014 Winter Whites Gala is like old school Taylor crossed with Grace Kelly. It’s sparkly but classy, glamorous but young, innocent but sexy.
14. Looking like an utter vixen before the 2014 Grammys, Taylor wore the hell out of this little black dress. I would hate these shoes on anyone else, but they really work for her.
15. And finally, here’s one of Taylor’s most famous and beloved looks. Her 2014 Met Gala gown put everyone else to shame and put a zipper on the mouths of anyone who doubted her style before. We’re obsessed.
Photos: Getty Images, Pacific Coast News