Full disclosure you guys: this was originally going to be a post about Titus Andromedon’s most fabulous outfits in season one of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. But I ran into a problem. When I started going back through the season, scanning for the show’s sartorial shining star, I was taking screenshots of every single outfit. If you’ve watched the show, this won’t be entirely surprising. Titus Andromedon is one of the most unique dressers on Netflix, donning robes that rival Joseph’s technicolor dreamcoat, paisley button-downs that only he could pull off, patently absurd printed tees, and most importantly, a collection of chokers Cleopatra herself would have envied.
Tituss Burgess is the uber-talented actor who has gifted the TV world with our favorite fashion diva, but he says he couldn’t be less like Titus the character. Burgess told TV Guide:
“I couldn’t be less like Titus. I’m very much an introvert. I really don’t even enjoy attention all that much. I enjoy performing, obviously, and people are going to pay attention. But when people start paying attention to Tituss, it makes me very nervous and very uncomfortable, so we’re nothing alike.”
I love watching performances that are so convincing you think the actor surely must be like that in real life, and Tituss as Titus was that, which makes it even more amazing that they are polar opposites.
Style was a crucial component to this character, so huge props to the costume design team on this one. I’m just as bummed as you that I devoured the season so quickly, so let’s at least reminisce together over Titus’ wonderfully over-the-top outfits.
1. Titus Is A Fancy Cowboy!
2. Titus Is A Werewolf! “I got treated better as a werewolf than I ever did as a black man. That’s messed up.”
3. Titus Wears A Graphic Tee! Where do you think they found this shirt? This is the first time we meet Titus Andromedon, and this printed tee is the perfect introduction.
4. Titus Combines Army And Glitter!
As only Titus could.
5. Titus Loves Broadway! What better for Titus to wear than a tank from Andrew Lloyd Weber’s UK rock musical about a child’s toy train set coming to life? Answer: nothing.
6. Titus Wears His First Choker! You’ll notice that Titus loves two things above all: chokers and the color purple.
7. Titus Makes Plain T-Shirts Fashion Statements! Titus Andromedon would never wear just a plain cotton tee.
8. Titus Performs “The Circle of Life”! This makeshift costume only contributed to making this one of the funniest moments in the series.
9. Titus Needs His Beauty Sleep! Remember when Kimmy tried to choke Titus in her sleep? Well…at least he looked fabulous.
10. Titus Rocks Tie-Dye! In all seriousness I would wear this.
11. Titus Goes To An Audition! In purple, of course.
12. Titus Works Out! Well…he at least gets dressed to work out. I can see him doing a Richard Simmons video in this getup.
13. Titus Gets His Groove Back!
In the only natural choice for a groove-getting-back shirt.
14. Titus Wears A Grandpa Sweater! He even pulls this off.
15. Titus Beads A Necklace! Or is it made of candy?
16. Titus Dresses Like Caesar! Only the color of royalty will do.
17. Titus Has More Robes! Someone warn Jessica Day from New Girl that Titus is trying to take her throne as cutest sleeper on TV.
Click to the next page for the making of Titus’ music video and his hilarious failed attempts to pass as straight.
18. Titus Films “Pinot Noir”!
So silky, so luxe, so sensual.
19. Titus Is A Handyman! Not very convincing, but I totally get where he was going with the “Pinot Noir” storyline.
20. Titus Wears Sequins!
I’m surprised it took this long.
21. Titus Goes Tribal! An homage to Mrs. Voorhees perhaps?
22. Titus Classes It Up! Hey wait, Tituss Burgess is extremely handsome…
23. Titus Falls In Love With An Invisible Man!
“Hey, at least I made it to the final two, let’s see a black man do the on The Bachelorette.”
24. Titus Busts Myths! Horizontal stripes say what??
25. Titus Introduces Paisley! Kimmy’s birthday is the perfect occasion for this daring print.
26. Titus Sees A Dolphin! Okay so that caption has nothing to do with his outfit, but I just love this scene so much. “Make it stop looking at me!!!”
27. Titus Can’t Pass! Even a Hawaiian print and a lacrosse stick can’t make Titus seems straight, and thank goodness for that.
28. Titus Loves Sports! S-P-O-R-T-S! SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS!
30. Titus Does Layering! Who else could pull off so many different shades on purple in one ensemble?
31. Titus Goes On The Radio! He’s ready for his close up.
32. Titus Combines Yellow Silk And Purple Paisley! I mean, they are complimentary colors, so I don’t see why not.
33. Titus Says Goodbye!
Until next season my love. Until next season.
Which is your favorite? Leave it in the comments!