If you are not usually comfortable wearing a hat, I think this summer you should go for it! There are great opportunities to try out this versatile accessory with flattering designs for every outfit and style…and I promise that you don’t have to worry about looking silly. Whether you are interested in a hat for function or fashion, there are some gorgeous options that satisfy both. Here are my picks for the top hat styles for summer 2009…expect lots of follow-up posts with great designs in each category:
- Floppy – the epitome of function and fashion. The floppy sun hat is a great staple for the summer…especially for all of you smart women who protect your skin from harmful UV rays. I love the different colors, fabrics, and sizes that designers are coming up with this season. I have a great straw floppy hat that I picked up in Kauai and I swear that wearing it gives you confidence!
- Short-Brimmed – the update on the basic. This military-inspired cap is similar to the standard baseball cap, except that the head shape is typically a cylinder instead of a half-sphere and the brim is shortened. There are tons of adorable styles with girly fabrics and unique embellishments. I see this as the female version of the baseball cap.
- Cloche – the fashionable vintage look. The cloche is still currently my favorite hat style. I wore one all winter and now I am excited to find a straw cloche for summer. I think they are classy and timeless.
- Head Wrap – the creative and colorful. I have always loved looking through beautiful and brilliantly patterned scarves, but I was never really quite sure how I could use one. This summer I will be posting about ways to use scarves as headwear, which has a wonderfully stylish look and protects your hair from sun damage.
- Fedora: the stylish standard. The fedora has been popular ever since Britney Spears and other celebrities, male and female, started sporting them about five years. Surprisingly this trend seems to have outlasted the careers of some of its wearers. The fedora appears, yet again, this summer in light fabrics and colors. I would love to see some more creative approaches from designers to update this stylish basic…