The catchiest fake viral video of all time. Dainty Ellie Kemper punching out a security guard. The character of Titus Andromedon. Triumph over the tyranny of SoulCycle. Tina Fey as a horny, incompetent lawyer. This comeback: “2090 called. You’re dead and you wasted your time on earth.” Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt bounded into our lives this weekend and showered gifts upon us, the Netflix binge-watchers of America, and not the least among those gifts were some truly glorious ‘90s fashion moments.
Because Kimmy Schmidt has been trapped in a bunker since the year 2000, her fashion choices are firmly rooted in the 20th century’s best decade. (I was born then, so duh.) Her style decisions are far from the focus of the show, but the few interactions Kimmy has with other characters on the topic of her fashion are truly fantastic. In the very first episode she and Titus are clubbing and Kimmy asks, “Is this backpack babyish?” Titus responds cheerfully, “It is a backpack!”
In contrast to the luxurious Manhattan wardrobe of her employer-turned-friend Jacqueline Voorhees (Jane Krakowski), Kimmy’s girlish ’90s style is even more endearing and hilarious. “Am I dressed alright?” she asks. “The answer to that has never been yes,” Mrs. Voorhees replies.
You’re always dressed alright for me Kimmy! Oh and by the way if you haven’t watched yet, get your life together.
1. Kimmy’s Infamous Backpack
2. Kimmy’s Workout Clothes
This look veers into 80s territory, but let’s be honest did fanny packs ever really go out of style? Her color coordination—purple scrunchie, pink sweatshirt, turquoise leggings—is flawless.
3. Kimmy’s Cowgirl Dance Flashback
I hope to God this really is Ellie Kemper. Again, this is just a quick moment in the credits that is funny and devastating at the same time. Because Tina Fey is a genius.
4. Kimmy’s Makeshift Belly Shirt Ah, the days before we had crop tops.
5. Kimmy’s Light-Up Kicks
Do you think you can actually buy these sneakers at Saks? Because if so…I’m about to throw it back to my youth Kimmy-style.
6. Kimmy’s Iron-On Butterflies Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is full of startlingly hilarious one-liners, but it’s also full of equally hilarious details. The more you watch the episodes (I’m at three times each for the first two episodes), the more you notice. I didn’t catch the fact that these butterflies were iron-ons at first, but when I did I got down on my knees and gave thanks to the god Fey.
7. Kimmy’s Jean Jacket + Printed Pants
Kimmy storming in and toppling the almighty SoulCycle instructor is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. (My first time doing SoulCycle, I was so infuriated by this jacked-out-of-his-mind stranger screaming at me that I have self-worth that I will never, ever return. YOU DON’T KNOW ME BRO GET OUT OF MY FACE.) Ahem… in any case, this is the glorious outfit she is wearing during that scene, and it’s really making me want a jean jacket with a hood.
8. Titus’ Workout Gear I don’t think Titus’ amazing style is exactly classifiable, but I had to include one of my favorite of his many fabulous outfits. If I made it to my teen years during the 90s, I almost certainly would have worn this shirt.
Have you been watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? If so, tell us your fave moments thus far!