The dress code at the MTV Video Music Awards probably states that celebrities must be at least 65% naked to be able to attend. There is no other spot you can expect more ass and boob cleavage other than Miley Cyrus‘s Instagram account. No one remembers the performances, or if there are even awards given out, everyone remembers the lack of clothing. The awards have become a place to see who can show the most without getting censored or arrested, and we’ve seen some valiant, underboob-exposing efforts.
Check out the most naked VMA looks of all time ranked from risqué to completely exposed:
1. Cher, 2010 MTV Video Music AwardsCher has worn a lot of scene-stealing, revealing outfits in her time. We may not see many 68-year-olds wearing sheer bodysuits, but this is pretty tame compared to the rest of the things she’s worn. Take off the jacket if you want to be a competitor, Cher.
2. Marilyn Manson, 1998 MTV Video Music AwardsWhoa! When you first glance at this, you think that the Marilyn Manson is giving the audience a free show, but if you dare to take a second look, this cutout jumpsuit is more PG-13 than XXX thanks to the fake skin codpiece. If this was on someone else though, it could get them arrested.
3. Lil Kim, 1999 MTV Video Music Awards Thought this was going to win the award for most nude? Not even close. Lil Kim‘s outfit may be one of the most memorable in VMA history, but it is still pretty conservative by the show’s standards. That is a full-length jumpsuit, with one sleeve. With that much excess fabric, one shell nipple pastie doesn’t mean much.
4. Paris Hilton, 2004 MTV Video Music Awards I don’t exactly know what this is–you can’t accurately call it a dress–but it covers most of Paris Hilton‘s goods. The wig is more offensive that the Christmas decorations and feather duster she is wearing, so she comes in low on the nudity list.
Lenny Kravitz certainly isn’t the only guy to go shirtless at the VMAs but he’s one of the few who styled his look around it. It takes thought to pair your nipple ring with the right fringe collar and wings. He gets points for creativity, but doesn’t get many for nudity. Many ladies out there aren’t happy about those conservative jeans.
Iggy Azalea wore an illusion dress to last years’ Video Music Awards–though I think the real illusion is that these body glitter birds are pretending to be a dress. Her boobs are covered, but I’m not too sure she is able to wear underwear with this…
7. Erin Wasson, 2013 MTV Video Music Awards
If you were confused why model Erin Wasson was at the VMAs, you probably forgot all about that when you saw her dress–or lack there of. It has sleeves and it’s full-length, but it is completely sheer. All she is wearing underneath is 90s high cut underwear and a bandeau top. Good thing she added some coverage with the headband.
8. Christina Aguilera, 2002 MTV Video Music AwardsI think this was when Christina Aguilera was still known as “Xtina.” Her zebra hair covers more than than the scarf she wrapped around her boobs, and the thing that I will call a “mini skirt” combined. She was close to making it to the top of the list, but blew it with the hat and boots. Why would she layer lace socks under the boots? Too demure.
Congratulations to Rose McGowan who takes the prize for most naked. She also wins for figuring out a way to upstage her boyfriend at the time, Marilyn Manson. Rihanna‘s nipple-exposing gown has nothing on this. The very NSFW front shows full boob. At least she chose an opaque thong, otherwise she definitely would have gotten arrested at the show. You have to draw the line somewhere.
(Photos: Getty Images)