A lot of the products I feature here — especially bags and shoes — are made out of “vegan leather”. While vegan leather is an animal-friendly alternative to real leather, it can mean several different materials.
(This jacket is completely animal free!)
Vegan leathers include:
- Vegetan: This is a microfibre material that is specifically designed and used as an animal-friendly leather substitute.
- Lorica: This material is made out of several different microfibers. Sidi, an Italian motorcycle company uses it a lot.
- Birko-Flor: This is what eco-icon Birkenstock uses. It’s made out of acrylic and polyamide felt fibres. There are two kinds — the kind you find on normal Birks and a kind that looks like pleather.
- Birkibuc: Another Birkenstock baby. It’s made out of the same stuff, but looks and feels like nubuck leather.
- PVC: Finally, a term you should be familiar with! Good for animals. Not so good for environment.
- Kydex: This is an acrylic-PVC alloy. It’s produce by Kleerdex, a manufacturing company.
I hoped this helped! Also, remember that being animal-friendly does not necessarily mean you are being eco-friendly. Using old and recycled leather could be better for the environment than buying a brand spankin’ new vegan-friendly bag. It just depends on where your priorities lie and what you are comfortable with!
Consume with a conscience and you’ll be fine!