Guys. GUYS. It’s happening. This is not a drill. Now is the time when all those pointer-finger calisthenics you’ve been doing pay off in the form of speedy and efficient Instagram scrolling. It’s New York Fashion Week.
To be perfectly honest, I’m in the midst of full fledged prep for the glory that is boot season, so it’s hard to believe that it’s time to focus on Spring 2015 already. BUT IT IS, so buckle up and get those pointers ready.
Instagram: The Place To Be For #NYFW
Okay just kidding, the place to be is at New York Fashion Week, but Instagram is definitely the second-best thing. You got #NYFW, #MBFW, #FashionWeek, #dayinthelife, and I’m sure tons more. But scrolling through hashtags on Inst is patently unpleasant as we all know, so I’ll just tell you who to follow. Start with the obvious one: @MBFashionWeek.
1. The Media
These big-time sources for fashion news cannot be overlooked for street style in and around Fashion Week, backstage access with designers, and all the best looks. Basically, they have writers and photographers swarming the entirety of NYC, and it’s awesome.
- New York Times Fashion (@NYTimesFashion). Duh.
- Women’s Wear Daily (@WomensWearDaily). Double duh.
- The Cut (@thecut). Can’t miss
- Fashionista.com (@fashionista_com). Those cats are on their game.
- Who What Wear (@whowhatwear). Their street style photographs are always stunning.
2. Magazine Editors
I am completely enamored by the lives of fashion mag editors: What shows will they attend? Which pieces are their favorites? What notes are they taking for their Spring issues? Luckily, their Instagrams give us a nice little sneak peek.
- Eva Chen, Lucky Magazine EIC (@evachen212). ‘Gramming often and well
- Nina Garcia, Creative Director at Marie Claire (@ninagarcia). Always perfection.
- Piera Gelardi, Refinery29 Creative Director (@pieraluisa). I can’t believe I haven’t followed her until now. Pure whimsy
3. Blogs and Their Bloggers
Many of these girls are people I’m sure you follow year round, and with good reason. Their lives consist entirely of spotting trends, writing about fashion, putting together outfits, and being photographed wearing those outfits. A dream existence for the most part, except when you have to be completely shameless about picture-taking…
- Danielle Bernstein, WeWoreWhat (@weworewhat). I trust whatever Danielle says. I even tried overalls because of her.
- Leandra Medine, Man Repeller (@manrepeller). You already follow her, but pay extra attention. You’ll be seeing her picks everywhere.
- Bag Snob (@bagsnob). For all your designer purse needs
- Aimee Song (@songofstyle). Another all-year-round must, but a CANNOT MISS during Fashion Week.
- Scott Schuman (@thesartorialist). For some reason The Sartorialist fell off my radar a bit in the past year, but he is the ultimate is street style for #NYFW.
LOOK AT THESE BOOTIES. LOOK AT THEM. NEVER STOP LOOKING AT THEM.
Ahem… Designers are obviously the heart and soul of Fashion Week, and when they let us mere mortals into their world, a magical experience is had by all. Namely, you’ll see all the craziness backstage, and the top picks of each collections by the people who designed them. Awesome.
- Rebecca Minkoff (@rebeccaminoff). Rebecca is upping her social media game even higher this fashion week, using #dayinthelife to record all the insanity.
- Prabal Gurung (@prabalgurung). The social media king is naturally streaming his entire show live at prabalgurung.com as well.
- Zac Posen (@zacposen). God’s gift to Project Runway is letting out tons of sneak peeks on his Insta!
- Oscar de la Renta (@OscarPRGirl). A #fashion must-follow all year long
- Thakoon NY (@thakoonNY). One of fashion’s most prolific and exquisite Instagrammers.
- Elizabeth and James (@elizandjames). Who doesn’t want to see the impossibly fabulous Olsens hard at work behind the scenes??
I’m not the biggest beauty fangirl myself, but I know there are those of you who are anxiously awaiting seeing who will have massive brows, who will have none at all, and whose will be gold and shimmery.
- Pat McGrath (@patmcgrathreal). I don’t want to say Pat McGrath is the be-all-end-all of makeup on Instagram but…
- Rachel Goodwin (@rachel_goodwin). She did THIS. Enough said.
- MAC Cosmetics (@maccosmetics). Tons of great backstage sharing at Fashion Week!
6. Models, AKA “InstaGirls”
Vogue said it, so it’s obviously a thing now. I am hoping that this new “InstaGirl” label will prompt our favorite models to Inst like crazy over the next couple of weeks. I want to see it all: getting poked by pins before heading out onto the runway, the fabulous overheard gossip backstage, the weirdest makeup they’re forced to wear, where they go after the shows, ALL OF IT.
- Karlie Kloss (@karliekloss) + Taylor Swift (@taylorswift). They come in a pair.
- Joan Smalls (@joansmalls). Even though her beauty is so intense it almost hurts.
- Cara Delevingne (@caradelevingne). If only for those brows.
- Suki Waterhouse (@sukiwaterhouse). Let’s not let things get too serious now!
- Kendall Jenner (@kendalljenner). Sorry guys, she’s a real NYFW model now. It has to be done. Despite this uber-creepy recent Instagram…