Everyone knows that couple that keeps to themselves in the back of the room and always looks like they have more fun and inside jokes and intimacy than you’ve ever experienced in your life. For me, that couple is Johnny Depp and Amber Heard. (In my fantasies, at least.) There’s something really intriguing about a couple that looks like they’re full of secrets, and Johnny and Amber definitely fit that bill. Here are five reasons why they’re the weird/hot/vaguely queer celebrity pairing that we all deserve!
1. They keep to themselves. Johnny is notoriously elusive and tends to hide away at his secret island home, and Amber has been spotted hiding her ring finger in public. Not that there’s anything wrong with couples who crave the constant spotlight (eh hem, Kim and Kanye), but these two know how to keep our interest by leaving a lot to the imagination.
2. They’re not hung up on heteronormativity. Amber is out as bisexual, and she has no issue talking about the fact that she’s had long term relationships with women and men. Johnny’s never made any public declarations about his sexual preferences, but he’s said before that he doesn’t think of his most famous characters as straight. (I mean. I’m not one to try to label someone else’s sexuality, but Edward Scissorhands, Jack Sparrow, and Willy Wonka don’t exactly seem like the straightest razors in the barber shop.) I just get the feeling that their openness makes for a fun, healthy relationship.
3. He wears the ring. When the Associated Press asked Johnny to confirm whether he’s really engaged, he said, “The fact that I’m wearing a chick’s ring on my finger is probably a dead giveaway. Not very subtle.” Good for them. There’s something really hot about unabashed genderbending– it shows that they don’t care if other people understand their kind of intimacy.
4. They’re socially conscious. Amber’s never been afraid to discuss feminist issues in interviews, which makes us want to give her a standing ovation. Johnny made the totally unforgivable choice to wear redface in The Lone Ranger… but we have to give him some credit for publicly apologizing for it. They’re not perfect, obviously, but it’s nice to see two people in the public eye who are at least making an effort to not leave the world shittier than they found it.
5. They’re pretty hot together. Check out this pic from the 3 Days To Kill premier. His weird hat and her messy, side-swept hair made them look like they’d just crawled out of a janitor’s closet where they were getting hot and heavy and weird. Maybe they’re rarely photographed together because they’re worried their collective hotness might burn holes through camera lenses.
So sorry, other celebrity couples. You’re probably cute and good, but Johnny and Amber kind of make me want to write erotic fanfiction. At least for now, they’re definitely topping my list of Couples I’m Rooting For.
Photos via Getty Images